Home Forums Reasons we Decide Medical and Social Reasons to Decide for Circumcision

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael

When I was born, my Mom was young and my Father was overseas during WWII. He was not circumcised. I was born with a long, redundant forskin. The OB nurse reportedly immediately noted this and encouraged my Mom to have me circumcised. My Mom declined because of my Dad and concern about pain. My Mom’s friend later saw me out of diapers and suggested my Mom should have me circumcised, but I was not. Fast forward to my first marriage of 10 years, my Wife and her parents repeatedly encouraged me to be circumcised. They presented me with a book listing the health reasons for male circumcision. Medical reasons included lower cervical cancer rates among female partners of circumcised males. Each time my wife became pregnant, she would ask me to get circumcised and allow it if we became parents of a boy. I was afraid of pain. So, I refused and ended up divorced and separated from my dear Wife and three Daughters. Finally, when working long hours on the job, I found I was unable to maintain proper personal hygiene when using public restrooms. With a foreskin, I could not keep the foreskin clean and dry or wash and dry after voiding in a public restrooms. I developed a very irritating, skin condition that required circumcision. Getting circumcised is the best and most importantant thing that I have ever done for myself! It did not even hurt. Manitaining personal hygiene is so easy now. I really wish I had been circumcised at birth. I was married three times. If anyone I was with – ever develops cervical cancer, I will never be able to forgive myself for not having it done before any intimate relations. I hope my story can helps others to avoid my unwarrented fears and the mistake of not being circumcised.

• #45629 Reply
      Eric

I wasn’t circumcised at birth either and had to encounter all the medical and social problems that being uncircumcised brings along with it. My dad, aunts, grandparents, pediatrician, and some of my PE classmates all thought that I should have been circumcised. I was only 1 of 2 boys in my class that wasn’t cut and we both got continuous flack for it (plus it’s hard to win any of the “peeing distance games” the boys played since I couldn’t pee straight as it went in every which direction). I got cut in college after freshman year. It felt only like a paper cut most of the time (erections notwithstanding). There was really nothing to it. I wish I had been done earlier to keep from having to go through a quarter lifetime of mental, social, and physical pain.

• #45630 Reply
      matt

I spent my entire childhood with a tight foreskin that would not retract at all. my mum would encourage me to stretch it and try to pull it back a bit more each time i had a bath, but as soon as she left the bathroom, i’d stop trying. Eventually she told me I might need a “little snip” to fix it. I was terrified at the prospect of being circumcised and made such a fuss, she gave in and never took me to my appointment. We never talked about it again after that. I left school at 16 still unable to retract my foreskin and desperately wanting to be circumcised but had nowhere to turn. Luckily for me, I confided in my friends mum who worked in the local hospital, knowing that her three sons were all circumcised. She never examined me or anything but could see I was desperate for help and took me under wing, inviting me on holiday with their family and booking me an appointment for a circumcision that was handled with the utmost discretion and respect for my privacy.

• #45677 Reply
      Kenneth

I’m British, born in London in 1987 and from a background that could be described as quite upper class. I was circumcised at birth as were many of my friends at school from a similar background. It’s been normal in my family for several generations. At one time virtually every British boy from my social class would have been circumcised, but it’s certainly less common nowadays (but still reasonably common).

• #45687 Reply
      jack

When I met my wife I was not circumcised.I had the snip later for medical reason.We both enjoy the look of my new organ.Sex is better and my wife gives me a bj almost every day since there is no extra skin in the way and it is always clean and smells good.Shortly after my circumcision my wife got pregnant and nine months later we had a beautiful baby boy.We did not decide to circumcise him then.A few weeks later one of our friends had a baby boy too.She had converted to judaism since her husband is jewish.On the 8th day we were invited to the bris, the jewish circumcision.It was done by a mohel,a jewish circumciser.He used a mogen clamp and the baby almost did not cry and the results were fantastic nice wound and no bleeding.We were so impressed by the results that we asked the mohel if he could circumcise our son.He said it is not possible, it is only for jews and not for christians.After insisting a little bit, he agreed.He put a local anesthetic on our son penis.he put the mogen clamp and with a scalpel cut off the excess foreskin exposing our son glans permanently.He removed the clamp the wound was perfect no bleeding he put a dressing and we went home.It healed pretty quickly and our jewish friend came home the next week to give the first bath to the two boys.Both had healed perfectly and our jewish friend told us how easier it is to clean a circumcised penis and they will have fewer problems in the future.We noticed that both boys had similar circumcised penis with their foreskin they were a little bit different but now they look alike.They are brothers in circumcision,circumcised the same day by the same mohel.The boys became best friend and it was fun to look at them running naked with their cherry fully exposed.When they were older they join a football team and when they were in the locker room taking a shower all the other uncircumcised players were jealous of their beautiful cut cock.A few years later my wife got pregnant and we had a beautiful boy.We called the same mohel who circumcised our first son but this time he did the circumcision in our own home.It was a no brainer for us, our second son had to be circumcised,we did not want him to be different than his brother or his father.

• #45708 Reply
      Kenneth

I remember at school one boy confiding in me that he wished that he was circumcised. I went to a private school in London where about 35-40% of boys were circumcised (I left in 2005). I don’t know if he got circumcised as an adult, we lost contact after leaving school. Amongst men from an English upper class background circumcision is quite common – it is well known that the sons of the Queen are all circumcised. An old school friend of mine is now a British Army officer in a guards regiment; he told me that many of his regimental colleagues are also circumcised and a several have had adult circumcisions.

• #45714 Reply
      Jack

God asked his chosen people the Jews to get circumcised So if god decided it is a good thing to be circumcised why not benefit from it even if we are not Jewish.It is just a small procedure,a small body modification and it offers so much advantages

• #45731 Reply
      David

Kenneth, I read that in some British schools it was obligatory to be circumcised? How have you experienced this, if you have ever been in contact with other schools? Why did the officers get adult circumcisions, where they forced by army or was it army tradition?

• #45744 Reply
        Kenneth

I’ve heard stories about some private schools in the UK requiring circumcision, but I doubt that this is true. I have experience of visiting some other schools for rugby matches and saw in the showers that many of these boys were also circumcised – probably about a quarter or third on average. My father went to Eton in the 1970s; he said that large majority of boys were circumcised but not all. As for Army officers, I understand that it is more about peer group pressure and definitely not a requirement.

• #45737 Reply
      Martin

Hi David, I also went to a private school in England. Unfortunately circumcision was not compulsory, I wish it had been. I sometimes fantasize about being told to report to the sanatorium and being given an extremely tight cut by the school doctor. About the same percentage of boys 35-40% were circumcised. It was seeing these circumcised boys that made me want to be circumcised. I waited about another 20 years before I had it done.

• #45779 Reply
        Kenneth

I’m glad that I had a routine infant circumcision. Personally, I think would have made sense for these schools to have a compulsory circumcision policy as it would have eliminated some of the jealousy, speculation and comparisons between circumcised and uncircumcised boys. I was never once directly bullied for being circumcised, but was occasionally mistaken for or asked if I was Jewish, with the occasional anti Semitic comment. Some uncircumcised boys envied the circumcised and wished that they could be circumcised too. All this has perhaps given me a greater sense of sympathy for both the Jewish and Muslim communities in the UK.

• #45751 Reply
      matt

It is my understanding that until 1947 when the NHS i.e. free healthcare system was introduced in the UK, circumcision was a routine operation, just as it is/has been in the US.

• #45752 Reply
        matt

Was circumcision common in the UK in the 1940s?
        Circumcision of babies became common in the 1940s but was practiced for centuries before that as a religious ritual.

When did circumcision stop in UK?
        In the UK, around one-third of men were circumcised just before the introduction of the National Health Service in 1948. But the newly-created NHS ruled that circumcision was not medically necessary, and therefore would not be covered.

• #45778 Reply
          Kenneth

By the 1940s, circumcision had become regarded as hygienic and even fashionable, particularly in the upper and middle classes in the UK. It did, however, have to be paid for – which excluded most poorer families. It is notable that Prince Charles was circumcised shortly after his birth in 1948 and this both reflected the attitudes of the time and set an example. It is also recorded that Margaret Thatcher had her son Mark circumcised, who was born a few years later. This was typical of middle and upper classes of the era. My own family also followed this practice, with my father (born in the 1950s) being done (and continuing for my brothers and me in the 1980s).

• #45753 Reply
        matt

The 2000 British National Survey of Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyle found that 16% of 16-44 year-olds were circumcised, the rate being 20% in those aged 40-44

• #45755 Reply
          Gemma

Matt, I think I mentioned elsewhere that a girlfriend had read that despite the rate of infant circumcision falling in the UK that adult circumcision was the single fastest growing cosmetic Surgery amongst British men! I’ll ask her for the article

• #45760 Reply
            matt

Yes, post a link if you get one. It’d be consistent with my observations as i’ve aged into my 40’s. 5% at school in the 80’s to over 20% in changing rooms, naturist environments and saunas in the 2020’s

• #45764 Reply
        Kenneth

When the National Health Service was created in the UK in 1948 the country was massively indebted following the war. Cost savings were the order of the day. Had the money been available, it is very possible that free routine infant circumcision would have been made available. This would have transformed the circumcision statistics in the UK. By not making it available, parents who wanted their sons circumcised had to pay to take them to a private clinic or a visiting doctor at home. My circumcision was done in a private clinic in London when I was two weeks old.

• #45783 Reply
          matt

One thing that was clear growing up in the 70’s and 80’s when circumcision was no longer fashionable/routine in the UK. The kids with mums who worked in healthcare were all circumcised. I made a long list of names of other boys i’d observed as being circumcised in primary school, secondary school, sports clubs etc and the common denominator was one or both parents worked in the local hospital.

• #45769 Reply
      Jack

I heard that prince Charles was circumcised at that time by a jewish mohel hired by the queen

• #45774 Reply
        Kenneth

Absolutely correct; the Mohel was Dr Jacob Snowman. At the time it was very common for a Mohel to be asked to circumcise boys from upper class English families.

Viewing 10 reply threads
Reply To: Medical and Social Reasons to Decide for Circumcision
Your information:

97 − = 93