Home Forums General General or Local anaesthetic

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Ash

Hi all, I’m about to get circumcised to resolve lots of foreskin problems and am having trouble navigating the different choices of where to get it done (in Melbourne Australia). I will need low and tight and frenulumectomy. I’d rather go with local anaesthetic but some places only do the procedure under general. I can’t work out why?

Similarly some doctors are very against skin glue (saying it isn’t strong enough to hold skin together when the penis is erecting during healing).

• #47560 Reply
      GS

My personal opinion is that general is not necessary for a circumcision. I was done under local. and was back at work later the same day. General puts quite a strain on your body.

• #47561 Reply
      Corbin

I was given 3 syringes of local (lidocaine) during the course of my operation. Initially 2, but during the frenulectomy right at the end, I started to feel pain, so the injected one more. General anesthesia isn’t needed and would have required hospitalization instead of an outpatient clinic, making the cost over double.

The dr used fine, dissolvable sutures and a compression bandage, and I healed with no “train tracks” from the sutures. He was against skin glue because of the high chance of improper healing and tearing.

• #47585 Reply
      Paul

I had cosmetic circumcision 18 years ago with local anesthesia. Didn’t watch, wish I did though, local gave me the freedom to drive 180km home.

So glad that I’m now circumcised..

• #47597 Reply
      Kyle

When I get it done it’ll be local. It’s not necessary for general for such a small procedure. And I also want to try to watch it knowing I won’t feel anything.

• #47600 Reply
      GS

I watched my procedure. I was fascinated. lol

• #47603 Reply
      Kyle

It would be fancinating. I’d like the record it too or have my partner there to record it if the doctor will allow that. I think it would be fun to watch it back with and hear her commentary.

• #47609 Reply
        GS

That would be a precious video.

• #47610 Reply
      matt

Mine was done with a local and it was fine, I felt nothing apart from a sensation of pressure when the clamp was closed.
      I was in and out in an hour and a half. Most of that was talking, form filling and then waiting for the anaesthetic cream and injections to sufficiently numb everything, then on went the mogen clamp, lever closed and done.

I stuck around for half an hour after, then given the OK to leave. It did ached after though. The first week or so slowed me up a bit, but after that, I was fine. Took a month to heal up.

• #47889 Reply
      Paolo

definitely local anaesthesia is much better, safer and it is almost not painful; You’ll feel only a couple of little shots you could compare to the dentist shot; so, in a few seconds you are free from any other need of deeper anaesthesia. As regard to lowest and tight cut it’s a very good choice, cause it leaves you ready to heal in a few days without swelling (the inner skin only is keen to swell). Stitches if self dissolvable are a very good choice (21-25 days to fall), while I don’t know about glue; I had all the above listed and I had a very smooth result.

• #47906 Reply
        matt

My inner foreskin remnant ballooned after my circumcision. The swelling took a long time to go away. Im about 1/3 inner skin on the underside but only 1/4 on the top side. High and tight.

• #47902 Reply
      Dominic

My circumcision (circa 15 years ago) was made with local anaesthesia.
      It was done in Germany by free-hand (frenulumectomy was already done by myself before). Reading some comments how they got circumcised, I guess the procedure is different in each county.
      At first there was some injections at the base of my penis. After that I had to wait some minutes to let the anaesthesia working. Then the surgery started and I only saw the top of the room. Therefore I don’t know if the urologist added more local anaesthesiia. After the procedure I had to wait and lay down for 1 hour. After this waiting time I should pee and give feedback that everything is okay. I did as requested and I could leave.
      … so that’s more or less the story of my circumcision focused on the anaesthetic.

Viewing 9 reply threads
Reply To: General or Local anaesthetic
Your information:

84 − 82 =