Home Forums Frustrations Diminished sensitivity in the circumcised

• This topic has 20 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 month ago by David.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      jack

Hi All

This is a personal bugbear of mine. I was circumcised as a medical emergency more than 20 years ago (I’d zipped my foreskin up in my jeans – long story). When the doctor suggested circumcision would be a safer option than trying to repair my foreskin, I panicked a little because I’d read all about how much sensitivity circumcision robs from a penis. The doctor couldn’t/wouldn’t guarantee me anything, but I eventually I went with his suggestion.

Well – I’m still waiting for my sensitivity to disappear. There’s certainly a sensation change, but no less or more than when I had a foreskin. I enjoy the sensations I get now, a lot more than when I had my foreskin (which worked perfectly well).

I live in western Europe in a non English speaking country. While circumcision is not nearly as uncommon or unusual here as the internet would have us believe, it’s still the minority status. It seems to be universally accepted that circumcised men last longer in bed because they feel less. Almost everything I’ve read or watched about circumcision over here references this ‘fact’. Drives me crazy. First, I’m really against blanket statements anyway. Secondly, it’s presented as gospel, usually by people with no way of knowing what they’re talking about. I can only speak for myself but, as someone who used to be quite fond of his foreskin, I would never want it back knowing what I know now.

Just needed to get this off my chest after a conversation I had today.

• #8726 Reply
      Bohemian

My glans has been bare for 51 years and skinned back for 10 years before I was circumcised. For 5 years before I managed to keep my foreskin back permanently I tried to keep it back but it would not always stay.
      My sensitivity has changed but not that much, sex is as good as it has always been, in fact my organisms seem to be getting better and I am in my 70’s. I am so happy that I have been circumcised.
      Men have been circumcised for thousands of years, if it was a bad ,it would have stopped, but it is a good thing to be circumcised.
      A gift that lasts a lifetime.

• #42322 Reply
      David

I was happily circumcised in infancy. When I was very young possibly between 9 and 12 – I found my glans to be very sensitive: a misdirected jet of water from the shower could be somehow painful and delightful at the same moment. From pubescence onwards however, my glans progressively became less sensitive and – in classic circumcised style – also drier. My glans is now nicely keratinised. As you suggest however, Bohemian, this has its advantages and I have certainly found that my sexual endurance has correspondingly improved. I am very proudly and happily circumcised and delight in my cut status. As you say, circumcision is a “gift that lasts a lifetime”!

• #42351 Reply
      Charlie

David,
      I agree with your comments. Myself being circumcised as and adult and getting to experience foreskin, I can say everything is better being circumcised. From sensitivity still being very pleasurable but not so intense you orgasm too fast to the clean dry exposed glans. No oder is a big plus too. Circumcision is a gift for sure.

• #45978 Reply
      Kenneth

I was circumcised at birth, so can’t make comparisons. I can, however, say that I don’t feel in any way adversely affected and still have a lot of sensitivity.

• #45984 Reply
      J90

I think a lot of the studies mix up fine touch sensitivity and sexual response. A lot of uncut guys would probably wince at having their foreskins held back while wearing jeans, but it’s an everyday thing for me, and I get more pleasure out of sex now than before.

• #45996 Reply
      ScanianDude

In my opinion (cut in my mid 20s for cosmetic, soon 13 years ago)

When glans is dry it is less sensitive, but when moist from lube or juice sensitivity is just like before.

For me orgasms has become more intense and longer lasting compared to before but this might be individual

Cheers/ThatScanianDude

• #46074 Reply
      Robert

Addressing ScanianDude. Have seen your posts and sharing. You may have seen mine. Cut medically (20) after marriage, I agree 100%, that my excessive foreskin,CI-10, was painful. Tried what you and others did. A lesion led to my very low, extremely tight cut. Yet, I was and still am pleased, as is wife( she never told me she wanted me circumcised. It was best thing for both of us & a fulfilling sex life, still. Thank you for your posts. I saw this one from a bit back. I think you said your CI was a 3? If so, to me a 2-3 is probably best. Yet personal choice. Aesthetically it does look pleasing.

• #46076 Reply
        ScanianDude

@Robert

yes I have seen your posts, but sometimes just read them fast without asnwering

I wish i was cover index 2 (but it is getting tighter now that I am losing weight) so at this time and place I am about Ci 3

I think those that claim lost sensitivity has been cut against their own wishes, wich is also why I think men should be cut when they have a saying in the matter(unless medical)

cheers/ThatScanianDude

• #46077 Reply
      Robert

@ScanianDude. Thank you for your response. I agree a 2-3 is a nice cut. As you read, I am now CI-1. Anyway, those cut as newborns or young men( certainly religious friends all cut) seem to have families & sex. A difficult decision, but it would have prevented many painful problems had I been cut as infant, like all my relatives & friends. Like you, wife & I are pleased. Sex is better, no doubt there

• #46546 Reply
        Kenneth

I was circumcised shortly after birth and am very glad that I was. My fiancée and I are both in favour of this. Nevertheless, for men who haven’t yet had it done, it’s never too late to get circumcised.

• #46552 Reply
      Robert Martin

Kenneth, absolutely, never too late for whatever reasons, be it medical necessity, or other preferential reasons. I also agree, birth is best time. Just so many medical reasons & problems prevented. Unless mono, one at risk transmitting so many diseases. Cervical cancer in women, bacterial vaginosis, HIV, HPV, , yes ( rare) took care of man penile cancer. Horrible painful death. Newborns don’t remember minimal pain with new anesthesic guidelines. I remember. But it fades, regards for post & support to others.

• #46555 Reply
        Kenneth

I don’t remember my circumcision (I was only 15 days old), but my parents did tell me that an anaesthetic was used. My fiancée and I have agreed to have any future sons circumcised at birth. For men who have not yet had it done I would certainly encourage them to choose to do so.

• #46570 Reply
      matt

One memory i clearly recall during my school years was that my friends who were circumcised all had a pale, white/greyish glans that had no glossy shine to it, and a thick flared coronal ridge, resembling the appearance of a mushroom. After my circumcision, my glans retained a more uncircumcised colour and gloss for at least a few years but by ten or eleven more years after when i approached 30 the shine was gone and the colour a pale pink at best. Now at 46 its pale skin colour doesnt change much at all and the glans is bigger with a thick coronal ridge, much like that of my school friends who i suppose were circumcised as infants giving them the ten to sixteen years of exposure needed to achieve that pale, flared aesthetic. my penis actually is shorter and thicker overall compared to my younger years.

• #46572 Reply
      Robert Martin

Matt-obviously what you experienced is keratinization. It happens after newborns circumcised.Medical circumcision, my “shine “ pink glans, took about a 8-10 months to start, those circumcised at birth happens to all. I really don’t mind. If you have 2 tone circumcision scar” many men consider it badge of honor “. Everyone & I do mean everyone ( cousins, friends of all religions, races & colors were circumcised. First time a saw one uncircumcised was in basic training-Army. A few guys did require circumcision in military. I did not, but later did. No regrets here. Totally normal for glans to go from bright purple/pink to what our glans looks like now. I did not notice coronal ridge flaring more than before. Guess all have a bit different experience. Thanking developer who allows this safe site & sharing of knowledge

• #46577 Reply
        matt

i think the constant coronal ridge abrasion has basically thickened it over time. probably only a little bit but it looks a lot. sensitivity is still ok tho.

• #46579 Reply
        matt

A more recent examination by an asian consultant during a testicular cancer scare (false alarm) included an examination of the glans and in the report, he described the appearance as “Glans: Normal”. So it can’t be that bad.

• #46656 Reply
        David

I recognise your experiences very clearly, Matt and Robert. I was circumcised in infancy: my glans is very happily and notably flared and is always fully (and very proudly!) exposed. It is now nicely keratinised in classic style and over the years has changed in colour from purple/ pink to a lighter tone, just as you describe. My glans is probably also now less sensitive than was the case when I was younger – all those years of permanent exposure! My circumcision scar is actually quite faint but I view both my scar and my prominently flared and keratinised gland as “badges of honour” just as you say.

• #46578 Reply
      matt

I had a lady GP examine me one time and commented “I see you have been circumcised?” She was impressed that I’d been circumcised and examined my glans. She was not impressed by the appearance of my keratinsed glans, in particular the coronal ridge and attributed it to me dry masturbating.
      She said I should be using lube in the absence of a foreskin. I said I’d tried but it made it very difficult to achieve orgasm for me. She said I should try using a condom with a drop of lube inside and stop masturbating dry or I could loose sensitivity over time and cause Erectile Dysfunction.
      I tried it and I have to say, it really works! She’d be disappointed to know that I don’t do it though and continue to masturbate dry but less frequently.
      Old habits are hard to break.

• #46584 Reply
      Robert Martin

Matt-odd a Dr unless urologist would comment on that. I did post that suggestion here somewhere. Circumcised as adult, masturbation had to change. Very low tight circumcision for medical reasons. I cannot pull any skin forward. I tell this to everyone. Buy a good water based lubricant. I had no choice to let old “ habits “ die. I concentrate on glans, where frenulum removed,( extremely sensitive) and actually the scar itself. A drop of water based lubricant in a condom does work for an occasional change. Suggest good condoms, good lubricant. Interesting you tried idea I know I posted here or somewhere. Try ( thoughts) edging, using opposite hand, twisting shaft & glans. Thank You for post. Warm regards

• #46585 Reply
      Robert Martin

Matt-ent back to another Dr post. Keratinization( layer of cells over glans after circumcision. It happens to newborns, as well as adults. RN-OR,did many with urologists, plastic & general surgeons. Glans changes from purple/ pink to lighter tone( me anyway). It only decreased ( for me) sensitivity a very small amount. Remember those circumcised at birth never know difference. As RN-nurses male & female discuss our ( at least my colleagues did) openly. Not 1 RN I encountered told me their S.O. Was uncircumcised. Never looked back. Again to clarify-odd a Dr would comment on this, unless you saw her for “ chafing “ problem. Some prefer tighter underwear to prevent this, some like feel of silk boxers rubbing glans & coronal ridge. Cheers

Viewing 14 reply threads
Reply To: Diminished sensitivity in the circumcised
Your information:

− 5 = 5