Home Forums Making the Decision Convincing a Urologist

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Phil

Hi guys, I’m unsure if this is a suitable place for this question. Please remove the post if not.

I’m in my early 20s and I live in the UK and have been fascinated by circumcision since I read about it in a medical book at my grandparents house as a teenager. I’m determined that I want to get it done and I have kept my foreskin retracted for the last 2 years.

My question is basically how do I convince my GP to refer me and a urologist to sign off on it if I don’t want to go down the expensive private route? Is it viable to just say I want one or is there some story I could give that wouldn’t fall apart if they needed a physical examination to recommend it?

My foreskin isn’t particularly tight, but it is very long. If I didn’t manually retract it still covers my head completely when fully erect…is that enough of a “medical reason”?

Thanks in advance

• #45330 Reply
      Will B

Where’s the harm in asking? If he says no, you won’t be any worse off than you are now. Of course don’t tell him your primary goal is to be circumcised, but have him give you a thorough check, and especially tell him about any irritation or soreness, that is any at all. Also tell him about any difficulty or awkwardness with sex, or irritation resulting from sexual activity. I’m not a medical person, and I don’t live in the UK, so I cant give any specific advice as to complaint or whatever, but it seems to me any irritation, or mechanical difficulty might be a good place to start. Try acting like you have some sort of difficulty with the foreskin that you’re having trouble describing or explaining (In fact you are! You just want it off! But DON”T say that explicitly.) Anyway, the worst that can happen is they say so.

• #45331 Reply
      Peter

Your situation was very like mine ie a long ungainly foreskin which never retracted when erect

I spent too long messing around with gps and in the end elected for a private clinic in Dublin. The best 1000 euros I ever spent.

In your case you have plenty of clinic choice in the UK. I would suggest that this is the optimal route.

Circumcision has been so good for me and my wife. Glad that you are on the trail at a young age.

• #45332 Reply
      James

To be honest I think you’re unlikely to convince an nhs GP and then urologist/surgeon if you have no real issues. They will definitely do a physical exam and would recommend surgery as a last resort as it uses up NHS resource and surgical time. Best to go private. I just went to a clinic in Canary Wharf in london and was circumcised three weeks ago. Great job, good service and £650 for glue and stitches.

• #45333 Reply
      matt

Hi Phil, I live in the UK. Don’t go through your GP. Call the Thornhill Clinic in Luton and the ladies there will book you in for a consultation appointment with Dr Khan. You might have to wait a couple weeks for the appointment, you may get in sooner. See how you get on. In the meantime, check out their website here. They’re really lovely folks and Dr Khan is super friendly and will perform the circumcision the way you want. https://circumcisioncentre.co.uk/circumcisions-adult-male-men/

• #45334 Reply
      Gemma

Phil. Well done for making the decision, and so early on in your adult life. It’s to be applauded. It’s a real shame that in the UK you can walk into your GP and ask for a vasectomy on the NHS but not a circumcision! Any road, I reckon your best bet is to report foreskin tightness only during erections or when having sex. That would be difficult for them to completely validate during a physical exam, right? It’s worth a try, as others have said if it doesn’t work then you haven’t lost anything.

I think it also depends on the doctor you see. I’ve anecdotally heard of some urologists who can’t wait to advocate circumcision and some who will do anything they can to avoid recommending it.

Best of luck with it anyway!

• #45335 Reply
        matt

There’s a good choice of dedicated circumcision clinics in the UK, and they’re not that expensive. You don’t need to go to your GP. I’d even go so far to say you’d be much better and safer having a dedicated clinic do it using local anaesthetic and glue skin closure than in a busy hospital where you’ll be under a general, have many stitches and sit in a ward for a day or two. The clinics will do it simply for cosmetic reasons for you with no medical condition or justification required. The last thing you want is to get past your GP only to have the urologist refuse to do it in the hospital after a physical examination of a healthy, perfectly functioning penis and foreskin because he’s got people with real problems to deal with. Get a quote from one of the clinics that’s nearest to you if Luton is too far away. It’s the best way of going about it. An NHS circumcision will likely be quite conservative too, potentially leaving a fair bit of skin bunched up against the glans. A clinic will ask you what you want and cater to your requirements. Don’t go loose though, or you’ll be back in again in a couple of years asking for it to be made tighter.

• #45336 Reply
          Dwayne57

Matt, while I agree that he’d be better off going to a private clinic, your information regarding hospital and NHS circumcision is pure fiction and misleading.
          I chose to have a general (could’ve had a local), was done as an outpatient at general hospital and came home same day, it’s tight without bunching and I only had nine stitches. Healing was without problems such as swelling.

Who do you know that’s had to stay in a hospital ward for a couple of days for a circumcision?

• #45340 Reply
            matt

a work colleague a few years back. general, two nights in hospital and 24 stitches. it was also not tight and i’ve read other similar accounts. the guidelines are not to perform tight circumcisions but in the end anatomy and the surgeon will decide. they’re not there to accommodate your cosmetic aspirations, whereas a clinic will. not misleading. dont agree.

• #45337 Reply
      Dwayne57

Phil,
      The GP and Urologist will follow clinical guidelines which are set by NICE (I think?). Circumcision is only recommended as a last resort for phimosis and recurrent balanitis. If you go to your GP without either you won’t get a referral.
      Feel free to drop me a line and I’ll give you some suggestions.

• #45338 Reply
      ScanianDude

I live in scandinavia, here you only get cut for medical issues, just like you I had very long foreskin that could cover everything even when fully erect and during sex it always felt like i was masturbating inside my own foreskin

anyway i went to the doctor and said (very truthfully LOL) I had recurring balantis every summer and tried a lot of creams that didnt work and i heard that Circumcision would cure the problem

anyway i got cut cut and i was in my mid 20s back then, sure i wish it was little tighter but I am still very very happy with the result

feel free to ask anything

cheers/ThatScanianDude

• #45345 Reply
      Reuben

A lot of what you say reminds me of what situation I was in around 15 years ago – keeping foreskin retracted, and wanting to be cut. My foreskin would also keep infront of the glans even when erect, but would retract without an issue so I think that is a fairly normal state to be in.

I honestly never thought of going down the NHS route, as I knew they would only do it if there’s reoccurring infections, or inability to retract is causing issue (i.e. significant pain) and can’t be fixed via exercises over a lengthy period of time. That’s going to be very difficult and time consuming route to go down.

Particularly with COVID delays in hospital many other elective operations (not to mention more significant treatments) are going to take priority over circumcision so I can’t see that happening for a few years.

You’re in your early 20s so you have many years of a healthy sex life (and continuing hygiene reasons even if that stops) to look forward to. A few hundred pounds spread out over that is negligible.

Also if you consider that you’d probably need many appointments over a year or two on the NHS before you even get surgery, vs maybe one then immediate surgery privately the cost and effort in time/travel/explaining why you are off work is another factor.

Good luck with whatever decision and choices you make :)

• #45348 Reply
      James

Entirely agree with you Rueben. The current pressure on NHS time means you could be waiting forever. Much better to make a consultation and get going with the appointment. I spent far too long prevaricating and actually the procedure was super simple. Recovery is a bit more prolonged and, obviously, given the nature of the wound can be worrisome…but so far so good for me.

• #45363 Reply
      Phil

Thank you to everybody for their advice. I must say that I had not really considered the current NHS backlog and using up their resources etc. when thinking about this. It is a fair point raised by some.

I have made an appointment with a private circumcision service in the city closest to me now. Their website advertises only for children, but having spoke to the lady there she also advised that they have done adults before and it’s more reasonably priced than the private hospital costs I’ve seen. Wish me luck

• #45365 Reply
        G S

Good luck mate. Please keep us updated. I was done a few months back, and can honestly say it was NOT a big deal AT ALL.

• #45368 Reply
        matt

It’s always worth asking the question. The surgeons in these private clinics that primarily cater to religious circumcision requirements of a local community are very often the top urologist from the local hospital and have set dates where they attend to older boys and adult patients too, using local anaesthesia (nerve block and topical cream) and if youre lucky, closure can be done using skin glue instead of stitches for a much faster recovery.

• #45473 Reply
      Phil

Hi all. I had my consultation this morning and it all seemed to go well. I’m booked I for the procedure itself next month.

Was a little embarassing when I first arrived and the girl on reception, a similar age to myself, was filling in the registration form with me and she asked for the reason for circumcision. I stammered slightly and started going into my reasons in detail and she said “No, no. I just need to tick religious, cosmetic or medical”. D’oh!

• #45535 Reply
        Gemma

Ah Phil. If that would’ve been me I would definitely have let you continue, just from an intrigue point of view.

As these other guys say I don’t think it’s anything to be embarrassed about, but I get why that particular misunderstanding might have been.

Glad to hear you are moving forward though

• #45474 Reply
      James

Hi Phil,

Sounds good. And you will be so happy to have it done. Recovery can lead to questions that you’ll want answers for so don’t be afraid to contact the surgeon and also to ask on here. Each person responds differently so it can be helpful to have reassurance. You’ll be fine and, for me, it’s totally worth it.
      J

• #45476 Reply
      Mason

Phil, Just to reassure you, there is no need to feel embarrassed. Adult circumcision is so much more common than people think. To medical people, it is just another procedure. Think how many women have various gynecological procedures! Now I am going to offer some advise for what it is worth. Do some careful thinking about how you want your remodeled penis to look. There is plenty of information on this site and there is the Circlist.com website that will tell you all about Styles and Results. Note that the chief complaint of men circumcised as adults is that not enough was taken off. You may want a loose cut, but lots of men are dissatisfied when that is the result. Just sayin’. Also, do you want to keep or lose the frenulum? All of that needs to be considered. After you have the surgery, be kind to yourself for the first few days. It will be a bit awkward, but you will soon be about your normal activities and all of us on this board are so glad we got up the courage and had ourselves done. Welcome to the brotherhood. You and your partners will be so glad!

• #45534 Reply
        matt

I had a testicular cancer scare last year that turned out to be a false alarm. During my examination, my urologist examined my testicles, prostate and glans observing that I was circumcised. He asked me when and who did it and was impressed by the neatness of the scar and commented that they had been “quite thorough but it was nonetheless an impressive result”. The nurse acting as chaperone looked on and smiled, nodding in agreement and muttering something that I didn’t quite catch unfortunately. My takeaway from the experience was that nobody should be embarrassed by getting circumcised or by being circumcised.

• #45497 Reply
      Martin

I also live in the UK and it has been good to see how many circumcision clinics there now are. It does seem that there is more and more demand from adult men to be circumcised.

It is now nothing unusual for men to request a cosmetic circumcision. As Reuben said the cost spread over many years of improved sex is nothing and is well worth it.

• #45530 Reply
      matt

As a kid in the UK, I probably observed about 5 boys in my year who were circumcised. The percentage of circumcised boys was 5% or lower. As an adult, having frequented swimming baths and naturist beaches, I’ve observed probably closer to 20%. My point is, we’re the same males, just older, and 4 times as many of us are circumcised by the time we’re in our mid forties (my observation). I believe that even though circumcision of infants is considered rare in the UK (outside of religious communites), circumcision is still the most commonly performed operation. It’s perfectly normal and regularly observed that many of us over time do choose to be circumcised, preferring to permanently reveal our most male part. We should be proud of our penis, not ashamed of it or embarrassed by it and not brow beaten into keeping it covered and hidden.

• #45531 Reply
      Peter

I agree totally. Circumcision is about revealing our most Male part to a woman.

A turn on because she is turned on.

• #45743 Reply
      Phil

Just be way of an update. An ill timed bout of covid delayed my procedure date. I am now booked in for the 5th Jan. One week to go

• #45745 Reply
        matt

Thats a shame that you’ve had to postpone it. You’ll still start 2022 a new man though!

• #45780 Reply
        Kenneth

Wishing you all the best, Phil, for 5th January!

• #45754 Reply
      Gemma

Good luck Phil. Please let us all know how it goes. I am certain you Will ultimately be pleased you had this done

• #45784 Reply
      matt

Good luck today Phil.

• #45785 Reply
      Phil

Thank you all for the well wishes. I was very nervous this morning, but I shouldn’t have been.

The nurses and doctor were great and it’s all done. Looks a bit of a mess at the moment and I’m taking painkillers but the doctor said he couldn’t be happier with how it went.

Here starts the recovery and a life “uncovered” :)

• #45787 Reply
        matt

Like a lot of things in life, the worrying is more traumatic than the thing youre worried about. Welcome to the club. In a weeks time you’ll be up and about no problem. In a months time, you’ll be as right as rain.

• #45794 Reply
        Kenneth

Congratulations and welcome to the club!

• #45786 Reply
      Charlie

Congratulations Phil.
      Keep the forum updated as you heal and how you like the new you.

• #45795 Reply
      Gemma

Yay!!! Well done you

• #45805 Reply
      Honcho

Bravo, a tip of the cap to you. Where did the circumcision take place?

• #45809 Reply
        Phil

Honcho, thank you. It was with Birmingham Circumcision Services.

Day 2 now. Had a shower and taken the bandage off as instructed, it’s starting to look a little better.

• #45813 Reply
          matt

A work colleague of mine, Neil had his done there. looked great after a month.

• #45832 Reply
            Phil

He showed you?!

• #45833 Reply
              matt

Yeah. Neils a character. LOL

• #45826 Reply
      G S

Congratulations Phil.

All the best with the recovery. Hope you’re as happy as I am!

• #45831 Reply
      Phil

Thanks all for the kind words and congratulations. They have certainly helped. The nights have been the most difficult (any erection causes me to wake up) but we’re getting there. I’m guessing the skin is going to slowly stretch out once the stitches heal so erections aren’t painful anymore.

A fair amount of itch today, so I’m guessing that is the stitches starting to close the wound

• #45834 Reply
        matt

Itching is healing. So keep dong what you’re doing and let time heal you. In four weeks you’ll really start to see how its going to look long term. In 6 weeks, you’ll be well healed from the outside but internally things take a while longer to fully heal, so be careful until spring time, especially if your circumcision is a tight one. how far behind the head is the cut line? a few mm or a couple cm? i.e. low or high?

• #45835 Reply
          Phil

Matt. Thanks! This place is such a good resource for advice and other people’s experience.

It’s a low cut, which I asked for, as I personally think they just look better. Each to their own. Just a couple of mils behind the head really.

• #45837 Reply
            matt

That will probably itch more as the stitches will touch your coronal ridge. It’ll look great once its fully healed though.
            My scar ended up about an inch back from the glans on the underside, but only about a centimetre back from the glans on the top. I don’t think the inner foreskin I’ve retained is any more sensitive though.
            I looked into a revision to a low cut but there isn’t enough shaft skin left to accommodate the loss of that inner foreskin, so I’ve learned to be proud of the scar rather than bothered by it. It looks fine on top, but the cut line is quite a way back underneath. Just how it turned out using a mogen clamp. What tool did they use for yours? probably done purely freehand if its as low as you say. You have to be careful to leave something to stitch back together.

• #45838 Reply
              Phil

Matt,

All noted. Yes it was performed freehand by the doctor.

• #45859 Reply
      Phil

So a week since the operation.

Last night was probably my worst in terms of waking up due to erections. At least 6 times I think :( I saw some useful advice elsewhere on here about pulling knees up when that happens, and it does help. Just annoying interruptions. Was oretty tired today.

Also, the top part of the wound seems to be healing nicely. The underside, where the frenulum was, is still quite sore. I wonder if it’s just because that part naturally rests against the body and so gets less air and chafes, or perhaps because the stitches needed in that bit are more complicated. Anybody else notice this? Am I over-analysing it?

• #45868 Reply
        G S

An empty bladder helps a LOT in reducing nighttime erections. If you wake up during the night, go empty, and you’ll be in for a good night sleep.

• #45870 Reply
        matt

This is completely normal. The underside takes the longest time to heal and achieve its final appearance. It’s a complicated area to join back together so it has been subjected to more trauma. just carry on as you are. It’ll be ok eventually. All circumcisions look better on top than they do underneath, with few exceptions such as newborn or infant circumcisions that have subsequently grown out, so to speak. A friend of mine who was circumcised when he was 8, has no visible scar line at all. He basically looks completely naturally circumcised. He also has no movement in the shaft skin beyond the skins natural stretch. It’ll be a good 12 months before your scar line fades and reaches its own final appearance.

• #45865 Reply
      James

Not at all over analysing.
      That’s exactly the case with most people – the frenulum area takes considerably longer to heal. For me the incision was all done after about 10 days or so but the frenulum area was nearly 4 weeks. I think the tissue removed there means pulling skin together to close a wider gap under tension so more stitches are needed (I had glue elsewhere).

For erections at night – was similar. Took about two weeks to sleep through and was up every hour many nights. But it’s well worth it…… :)

• #45961 Reply
      Phil

Hi all. Thank you for all the comments and advice. Day 20 now and thought I’d drop back in.

Most of the stitches seem to have dissolved and I’m now sleeping through the nights. Haven’t had any bleeding episodes for a few days now and I can have a salt bath tomorrow as per doctor’s orders.

Really loving how it looks. Don’t mind admitting to spending a bit of me time inmost few days just examining it

• #45962 Reply
        GS

Congrats mate. Sounds very good from your message. Just take it easy, it just gets better and better….

• #45964 Reply

Shame we can’t post pictures on there as we’d be interested to see

• #45965 Reply
        matt

Yes, “proof of circumcision” should be mandatory to shake out any fakers!!! :o)

• #45969 Reply
          Phil

I am perfectly happy to share photos, if it is allowed. Nothimg to hide or fake here. I guess as could host them elsewhere and link if the site owner is happy with that??

Viewing 29 reply threads
Reply To: Convincing a Urologist
Your information:

91 − = 88