Home Forums Making the Decision As a mom, I chose to circumcise & why?

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Lucky Mama

As a mom, you’d think it would be an easy choice to know whether I wanted to circumcise my newborn or not. But no – it was difficult. First off, I should mention that my husband (from Europe) is not circumcised. He is the first of a long line of men from his country and Culture to have ever married an American and moved to The US. We researched and found that with the moist, dark, are below the excess foreskin, men are more prone to bacterial infections (STD’s) that stay and grow in that humid climate. You must be extra, extra clean at all times when not circumcised. My very experienced male gay friend calls it “Dick Cheese”. My husband is VERY clean… So I don’t know about any of that. But what we all do agree upon is that it is cleaner and it looks much better. When I first encountered an uncircumcised penis, it was kinda shocking, and not very pretty. So after taken the above into consideration. My son was circumcised at 3 days old. My husband watched in fascination. I said to him – “your up”… He said smiled and didn’t say a word :)

• #996 Reply
      Choice Maker
      Keymaster

Feel free to send your husband over to the site! I’m available in the chatroom most of the time (I have to sleep), and always willing to answer forum posts or emails. chooser@choosingcircumcision.org is my address.

• #997 Reply
      David

What country is your husband from?

• #1121 Reply
      Morgan

We also chosen to circumcise our son even that I am not circumcised, we live in the USA and its still normal here. not as normal as it used to be but still a choice, I of course didn’t know anything about it. But there are many benefits. And as a uncut guy I see those benefits. So now I will have to consider it for myself.

• #1123 Reply
      David

I’m uncut as well and am thinking about getting circumcised. From what I’m seeing in a number of online forums, it looks like more uncut teens and adult men are thinking about getting circumcised and getting it done. This may increase over time even though the infant circ rates have dropped in the USA. I’m all for personal choice about getting cut. However, if I ever have a son and am living in a part of the US where circumcision is the norm, I will have him circumcised as a baby. Best wishes to you and your family. Hope you choose to get circumcised. Let us know how you are doing.

• #1165 Reply
      Lisa

As a new mother we choose to have our son circumcised, Ito’s great that uncut dad’s are having their sons done. I’ve seen it more and more. People are realizing that cut is a healthier option. My husband is also uncut and choosen to have him done

• #1168 Reply
      David

Hi Lisa!

First of all, congratulations to you and your husband on the birth of your son. You said your husband is uncut;however he joined you in the choice to have your son circumcised. It’s interesting to learn that more uncut dads are choosing circumcision for their sons. As you said, people are realizing that cut is the healthier option. Is your husband considering getting circumcised? I’m considering it for myself for health and personal reasons. Once again congratulations and best wishes! Looking forward to your reply.

• #1170 Reply
      Kev

I am from South Africa and Afrikaans speaking. Circumcision is uncommon among the Afrikaans speaking (less than 15%) although quite common with the English speaking (over 60%). I married an English speaking lady and she did try a few times to convince me to get circumcised but I refused so I was still uncircumcised when our first son was born nearly 12 years ago. My wife insisted to have him circumcised. I had no objections against it apart from worrying that he won’t look like his daddy.
      When our 2nd son was born and circumcised 2 years after his brother, I decided that was it, I didn’t want to look different than both my sons. Well, the only regret I have taking the plunge, was not having it done much earlier. Sex is so much better and much more exiting than when I was still intact. Since my own circumcision, a number of my friends got circumcised after my advise and are all very happy they had it done.

• #1171 Reply
      David

Kev,

You are among an increasing number of men who were uncut/intact/uncircumcised and have been circumcised as an adult. From everything I’ve been reading in different groups, males who have been circumcised as teens or adults are very glad to be circumcised and DO NOT want their foreskins back. Like yourself, the only regret is not having it done sooner. I’m also planning on getting circumcised for health and body image reasons. Glad to hear you are happy being circumcised. Your story is proof that uncircumcised men who get circumcised as teens or adults are the best qualified to say which state is better. Everything I read says CIRCUMCISED IS BETTER!

• #1178 Reply
      Lisa

HiDavid,

Yes we are happy with what we did. I was more than daddy. But whatever.

We have talked about him getting done, still just talking for now…

• #1179 Reply
      David

Hi Lisa!

Glad to hear you all are doing well. It’s good to hear a woman’s perspective.Do you live in an area where the majority of boys are circumcised? Good to hear that you and your husband are talking about his getting circumcised. Once again congratulations to you and your family.

David

• #1189 Reply
      Lisa

Hi David,

Allot of males where we live in the USA are still getting cut, but allot are not either. It seems that the circ rates are dropping allot. We still think its the best option.

• #1190 Reply
      David

Hi Lisa,

Good to hear from you again.You said that in your part of the USA, a lot are being
      cut and a lot aren’t getting cut.Sounds like a 50/50 split. I have read that approximately 10% of uncircumcised males will have to be circumcised a some time during their lives due to medical issues. I continue to see increasing number of posts in various forums from teen and adult males who are getting circumcised as a personal choice and are very happy with the outcome. Best wishes to you and your family. Looking forward to hearing from you again soon

David

• #1194 Reply
      George

I wasn’t born in the US and thus was not circumcised at birth. My brother, born four years later in the US, was circumcised at birth. My father had it done as an adult about 15 years ago. I was circumcised back in February but before that had kept my skin retracted for around ten years. I preferred the exposed glans. When my wife was pregnant with out first son, she had no opinion on the matter and I wanted him circumcised. He had it done when he was a day old, it didn’t seem to bother him one bit. My second son was also circumcised at birth. I joined them five years later.

• #1401 Reply
      Austin

As mentioned this is not a site to discuss RIC. You say it’s difficult to keep a foreskin clean in hot climates – just wash the foreskin with warm water (no soap) every three to four days and dry the foreskin with a towel before pulling it back over the glans after a bath or shower. Infants and young children should never have their foreskins retracted until they are into puberty.

• #1402 Reply
      Austin

You also mention your husband is very ‘clean’ then go to say you still decided to circumcise your sons without their permissions? I don’t understand why you would do it.

• #1551 Reply
      Jake

I got circumcised due to health problems since I was circumcised no health problems or problems with condoms staying on sexual intercourse is so much more enjoyable no forskin in the way

• #44774 Reply
      John

The cleanliness argument is bogus. It has been debunked thoroughly.

Would you pull out all your teenager’s teeth and replace them with dentures because their teeth would rot if not cleaned?

Should we carry out forced mastectomies on teenage girls so that they could never get breast cancer?

Teach you male child to clean properly.

Infant male circumcision is sexual mutilation. Nothing more, nothing less.

• #46776 Reply
        Harry

The “pull out your teenager’s teeth” is a bad analogy, because most teenagers in the US do have their wisdom teeth routinely removed at about age 16. Most people cannot use their wisdom teeth for normal chewing, and wisdom teeth frequently cause problems. My mother never had her wisdom teeth removed, and periodically her jaw would swell, and subside, and they otherwise caused her problems off and on virtually all her adult life.

• #46777 Reply
        Kenneth

I wholly understand the issue of choice, but as someone who was circumcised at birth I certainly do not consider myself as “sexual mutilated” – far from it. Personally, I’m glad that my parents made this decision.

• #44777 Reply
      John

John,

By definition male circumcision is NOT mitigation. The penis still functions normally for its two purposes: voiding urine and sexual pleasure. The idea the circumcision diminishes pleasure has also been debunked numerous times. Or are you going to be intellectually and scientifically dishonest and only choose which scientific findings you agree with? Hmmmmm?

• #46536 Reply
      sherrie

My husband choose to do it about 2 years into our relationship after we got engaged. He was always tearing his foreskin which was very painful for him. Probably from suddenly getting regular sex so it was always being irritated. I never said anything about circumcision or even asked him to do it, but he decided he wanted to and we are both happy with the result because sex is no longer painful for him or something that he has to take time off from to heal from.

• #46537 Reply
      Tor

sherrie,
      Your story sounds like mine. Glad your husband did it so early. I also had irritation and tears on and off, over the winter it was consistently irritated and red.
      My girlfriend/partner (over 10 years now) never really said anything about it, but was careful not to hurt me. I finally had a conversation with her…10 years in!!! about getting it done. She totally supported me. As you may have seen on the other forum, today was the day. It’s gone, now for several weeks of healing…
      My two boys (previous marriage) were circumcised at birth. Glad we made that decision back then.

• #46771 Reply
      Monica

True. It’s not always an easy decision for a mother and her newborn. But it helps if both parents are in agreement. My husband was supportive even though he himself is not circumcised. I think a lot depends your your cultural background and the norm where you live.

• #46778 Reply
        Kenneth

I agree. My fiancée and I completely agree about this, even though we live in Switzerland – a country where only a small minority of males are circumcised.

Viewing 21 reply threads
Reply To: As a mom, I chose to circumcise & why?
Your information:

71 − = 66