Home Forums After the Cut Home Frenulectomy

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Choice Maker 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

Choice Maker
    Keymaster

Well, four and a half years after my circumcision, I removed my frenulum. Rather than pay a doctor for a trivial surgery that could not possibly be covered by insurance, I just did it myself a few nights ago. Images of my results are here.

I’m quite satisfied with my result. It’s healing nicely, and it feels fantastic.

I’ve always told people that the choice to remove or retain their frenulum is a cosmetic one, and I think I may have been wrong. Not having that minor tendon constantly pulling back on my glans makes a pretty big difference in day-to-day sensation: it feels more “free”, and my flaccid length is slightly longer. Also, the glans extends further than it used to.

Since the sensitive nerves some people ascribe to the frenulum are actually underneath it, I haven’t lost anything in sensation. I’m looking forward to sex with my wife once it’s fully healed to see if it makes much of a difference there too.

So anyway, I have to change my recommendation on the frenulum: I recommend removing it. I can’t in good conscience recommend removing it the way I did, but… well it has worked out fine for me.

• This topic was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  Choice Maker.
  • #7311 Reply

Choice Maker
    Keymaster

So anyway, this was four or five days ago, and there’s no pain normally when flaccid or erect. It does hurt if i rub it though, so I’m on the fence for whether I want to try to gently masturbate. I’ve heard that it’s good to wait an entire week, but I’m not sure I can hold out that long.

• #7375 Reply

Choice Maker
    Keymaster

People have been asking how I did it, so here goes…

First I poked a hole in the super-thin layer of skin underneath the frenulum, which i maintained for a few days, essentially a frenulum piercing.

Then a few days later I used a sharp pointed knife poke through the hole to cut upward and through the frenulum. Then used the knife to remove the remaining pieces after cutting it in half.

I used a lot of vaseline, a lot of antibiotic pointment, a few paper towels for soaking up the little blood, and some bandages. It healed pretty quickly. Two days after the initial frenulectomy I cut off a remaining dangly piece of frenulum that I hadn’t gotten the first time around.

For pain management during the procedure I just used some analgesic cream, similar to the stuff used for a toothache. Nothing was needed for pain management once it was done.

Again, this is something that should probably have been done by a doctor, but nothing bad has come of doing it myself.

• #7445 Reply

N A

I just got a circumcision for medical reasons and my frenulum is removed. I’m day 9 into recovery. I can feel some pleasure in the frenulum area but nothing significant.

What is the prove that the sensitive nerves are underneath the frenulum and not IN it?

Thanks!

• #7449 Reply

Jack

Bear in mind you’re still healing- it took me a couple of weeks before sensation was anything like approaching normal. Don’t worry too much about it at this stage- lots of guys had their frenulums cut without it impacting their sensation later on.

• #7450 Reply

Choice Maker
      Keymaster

The assertion that the nerves are in the glans underneath the frenulum comes from practicing urologists on some related mailing lists, such as Inter-Circ (found in the links section). As for me, I can confirm first-hand that there is no loss in sensitivity going from with-frenulum to without-frenulum.

• #7454 Reply

N A

Thanks, that is reassuring. I’m worried that without a frenulum, I lose out on some acts of oral sex and so many guys say their frenulum is super fun.

Some guys say that sex without it is more about the end result than a gradual, more sensational journey. Would that be true?

There’s a scab where my frenulum was and it is coming off (naturally) but I feel nothing there. Granted I am healing. It makes me think that maybe if I did have a frenulum, it would have been pretty numb?

Would you say that the glans is just as stimulating as the frenulum?
    Does your glans experience just as much satisfaction as that area, pre and post frenulum removal?

Thanks for the re-asurance

• #7457 Reply

Choice Maker
      Keymaster

Thanks, that is reassuring. I’m worried that without a frenulum, I lose out on some acts of oral sex and so many guys say their frenulum is super fun.

I haven’t had a blowjob since taking it off. but thinking back I have never noticed any “frenulum” play. Yes, it felt good to have tongue brushing against the frenulum when I had it, but the sexual sensation in that area is actually stronger now without it. Imagine getting a blowjob where she never retracted your foreskin, keeping your glans covered the whole time. Well, my frenulum was the last piece of foreskin covering my glans.

Some guys say that sex without it is more about the end result than a gradual, more sensational journey. Would that be true?

Sex still feels good, really good. Removing the frenulum doesn’t seem to have changed the duration of sex in any measurable way, nor the amount of sensation. The area -is- more sensitive now without a frenulum, but it’s a difference I notice when I am touching myself and not when I am inside my wife.

There’s a scab where my frenulum was and it is coming off (naturally) but I feel nothing there. Granted I am healing. It makes me think that maybe if I did have a frenulum, it would have been pretty numb?

Yep. The frenulum itself doesn’t have many nerves at all. It’s a connective tissue whose purpose is to replace the foreskin over the glans. Just wait until you are healed.

Would you say that the glans is just as stimulating as the frenulum?
      Does your glans experience just as much satisfaction as that area, pre and post frenulum removal?

The glans is absolutely not “just as stimulating” as the frenulum; the frenulum turns out to have had no particular sensation itself and a dulling effect on sensation from the glans by covering up the nerves behind it. The second part of your question doesn’t make a lot of sense; “that area” from which the frenulum was removed is just the underside of the glans. I would say that the area on the underside previously hidden by a frenulum is slightly more sensitive than the upper “mushroom cap” of the glans.

Thanks for the re-asurance

Sure. To be perfectly fair, removing the frenulum is still -mostly- an aesthetic choice, and even though my circumcision was not about the way it looked, removing my frenulum was definitely about aesthetics: they way it looks, the way it feels, and my desire for it to be smooth. The difference in sensation is minor and only comes into play if aesthetics or medical reasonse (such as frenulum breve) don’t apply.

Reply To: Home Frenulectomy
Your information:

65 + = 73